Bild
Bild
Axel
Administrator
Administrator
Beitrag von Axel »

Hier ein Kommentar von James LaBrie:

Hi Everyone,

Thought I would give you time to digest the news of Mike's departure. MIke stated that he was burnt out with the DT world and needed a break. We have to respect where he is at and where this will lead him at this particular point in time. With that being said, we are more than pumped to continue the legacy of DT and jump full on into the next chapter. Rest assured it will be great. You can count on it.

On another positive note. Matt and I are psyched with the reaction and reviews 'Static Impulse is receiving around the world. We can't wait until everyone can get their hands on the complete disc. and hear it the way it was intended.
I will be around more often to see how you're all doing and to fill you with any and all news. Take care and not long now until the 27th or 28th depending on where you live.

Kick it up a notch,

James.

Quelle: http://www.jameslabrie.com/forum/index.php?topic=726.0
Bild
Axel
Administrator
Administrator
Beitrag von Axel »

Und wie sollte es anders sein, MP kündigt ein exklusiv Interview heute Abend bei Eddie Trunk an:

I will do an exclusive interview tonite on Eddie Trunk's Friday Night Rocks show at 11:30pm EST to discuss my departure from DT....

Quelle: http://twitter.com/MikePortnoyDT/status/24136160480
Bild
metalandi
Mitglied
Mitglied

Beitrag von metalandi »

da bin ich schon gespannt drauf, hätt mich eh gewundert wenn das nicht noch ein ausführlicheres statement kommen würde.
Axel
Administrator
Administrator
Beitrag von Axel »

John hat nun weitere Fragen beantwortet:

Fan:
John,
what will be the fate of ytsejam record? Is this the end of the official bootlegs for DT or any plans for running the similar thing?

JP:
That should not be affected.

Fan:
John,

You are my inspiration as a guitar player, you have a velvet touch like none other and a vibrato that could ring for days...

Now, maybe this is a little too soon, but what are you going to be looking for in your new drummer? Is it likely he'll have a different style to Mike's, as to give DT a sort of new creative angle?

JP:
A monster who can handle the technical, groove, metal and sensitive sides of our music.

Fan:
John, do you think this will give the other guys in the band more creative input? IE James writing more melodies, JM writing more lyrics.I guess to some outsiders it seems like Mike kind of held them back a little, just my observation.

JP:
Everyone in DT contributes as much or as little as they choose.

Fan:
John, off topic, but do you still own/play your old ibanez guitars?

JP:
I still own the originals but don't play them anymore.

Fan:
John, you are a tone guru as far as I'm concerned (up there with the Timmons and Eric Johnsons of the world). I have always immensely enjoyed your tone and playing. I am personally rather partial to Awake

Q: What DT album and/or song do you feel has the best tone? How are you planning to evolve your tone onto the next album(s)?

Thank you so much for this session mr. Petrucci, it has certainly given THOUSANDS of people a lot more peace of mind!

JP:
Thank you so much. Obviously tone is so important to me and so subjective as well. That's a difficult question...I love the tone on "Scenes..." as well as "Black Clouds..." and "Suspended..." It just evolves as the guitars and amps do but at the end of the day, I believe it's all in the hands.

Fan:
John,
Are you going to try to get a drummer before you start writing/recording? Or write the record first and then bring someone in? Are you looking for a permanent member or a temporary member/revolving door type thing?
Thanks for answering all the questions and doing this tonight!

JP:
To me it doesn't matter if someone is in place or not as far as composing is concerned.
We are not looking to do anything "interim" or "temporary"

Fan:
Hey JP,

This is very early stages, but do you think that you may have to take on the responsibilty of being the sole producer for the next album?

Do you think that you and MP will work together in the future?

Ive been a member for years but this is my first ever post! Im 22 years old and ive been a massive fan of DT and your music for around 9 years now. DT's music and your guitar playing has basically been a daily part of my life since then. Ive been lucky enough to meet you a couple of times and see DT live 3 times (including your first show in oz in perth) in Australia and one of your clinics. And every time i spoke to you, you were very sincere and eager to answer my questions, and that same sincerity is shining through now, so thanks JP for talking to us at such a hectic time dude, You sound as shocked as me and alot of my friends and family are. But as a lot of your fans have shown today I will be backing DT 110% and i hope everything goes well for MP too. Probably the biggest chapter in DT history.

From your loyal fan,

Ben

JP:
I love producing but it could be nice to get a fresh perspective as well.
Not sure yet.
I would love to play with Mike again, of course.

Fan:
This was a big question in my mind, and glad to hear that you guys will do what you can to fill in on that end. It's great to have revolving set lists.

I'm sure you guys will. Hopefully you find a drummer who has a name for himself that can mingle with the fan end of things like Portnoy did.

My only question was which modern drummers you look up to that you think would fit with your band? Or, just which modern drummers you look up to?

JP:
There is so much amazing drum talent out there!

Fan:
John,
Do you prefer African or Domestic honeybees for a metronome?
Rock on!

JP:
Clover honey bees from Madagascar.

Fan:
Hello Mr. Petrucci
Just curious, what music have you been into lately?

JP:
My head is buried deep in my solo material!

Fan:
John,
I know you've talked about it in the past, but are you any closer to possibly making an album with STEVE MORSE some day?

JP:
Would love to but not any closer.

Fan:
HELL YEAH!!!!!

Would you consider doing a mini tour playing smaller venues in support of the new album? Maybe playing some DT or LTE instrumentals along with your solo stuff?

Thanks for all the music, it's really cool that you're taking the time (ha, pun) to answer our questions. Can't wait to see what the future holds for you guys!

JP:
I would be into playing larger venues!

Fan:
Aside from musical interaction, are you still going to be good friends with Mike?
Like getting together to eat some barbacue and live rodents? I could not imagine separating from a friend you've had for 25 years.
Hopefully it ended on good terms?
Good night, btw. May you dream with blazing unisons.
Same for me!

JP:
Yes it did. Mike and I are friends.

Fan:
John- First and foremost, I would like to offer my deepest thanks for posting on the forum. I would love to see you occasionallychime in on threads that aren't all about asking you questions. I guarantee that it would be just as special as it is to hear from you today. Honestly, you posting on the forum today has been equally exciting as anticipating any Dream Theater release. The thought of you being a regular member and offering your insight on things that don't necessarily concern you or Dream Theater makes me even more excited.

In regards to the future of Dream Theater, I am wondering if you and the rest of the band would be in support of John Myung contributing lyrics again. Though there is already so much to be excited about in regard to DT's future, I think everyone would be excited to hear something from the man who seldom speaks.

Thanks again for all the inspiration you've given me,

-Steven Converse

JP:
Unsure about JM's lyrics. He hasn't expressed anything.

Mehr vielleicht demnächst unter http://www.petrucciforum.com/forums/sho ... 25&page=21
Bild
Axel
Administrator
Administrator
Beitrag von Axel »

Hier mal was zu Mikes Interview bei Eddie Trunk gestern:
http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.asp ... =1#2588823
Bild
Nico
Mitglied
Mitglied

Beitrag von Nico »

Bild
johnistheman

Beitrag von johnistheman »

sehr ehrliches interview von mike portnoy, man merkt schon wie schwer ihm das ganze fällt.
Nico
Mitglied
Mitglied

Beitrag von Nico »

johnistheman hat geschrieben:sehr ehrliches interview von mike portnoy, man merkt schon wie schwer ihm das ganze fällt.
Das war auch mein erster Gedanke. Man merkt wie er richtig nach Worten sucht, ins Stocken kommt und teilweise schon mit sich selbst kämpft. Es berührt ihn schon sehr.
Vor allem wenn ich das mit den Interviews vergleiche die er sonst auf div. DVDs oder im Netz gegeben hat. Da hat man einen selbstbewussten, strahlenden Mike Portnoy gesehen, dessen Augen fast schon wie bei kleinen Kindern strahlten wenn es um DT, um Musik geht.

Das ist doch denke ich auch erstmal die Hauptsache für alle DT-Fans. Dass er ausgestiegen ist kann man jetzt nicht mehr ändern aber für mich ist wichtig, dass sie nicht wegen eines Streits etc. auseinandergegangen sind, sondern wirklich einfach "nur" getrennte Wege gehen.
Bild
larryboogie

Beitrag von larryboogie »

Hier findest ihr das Interview trankribiert...
emotional schon aufwühlend...
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=145872
dirk hartmann
Mitglied
Mitglied

Beitrag von dirk hartmann »

MP und die anderen DT Band-Mitglieder haben ganz schön an der Trennung zu knappsen !! Nachdem ich das Interview gehört und gelesen habe, kann ich mir gut vorstellen, dass DT für die neuen Aufnahmen und die anschliessende Welt-Tour nur einen fähigen Gastmusiker als Drummer aquiriert aber nicht als festes Mitlied der Band. So könnte man ev. doch noch die Hintertür für MP offenhalten. MP ohne DT und die DT ohne MP, das geht doch irgendwie nicht. Mal sehen, ob MP das überhaupt ein Jahr durchhalten kann, wenn ihm die Tragweite seiner Entscheidung erst richtig bewusst wird. Wenn man ihn so reden hört, kann man erahnen , wie Sch***** es ihm jetzt gerade gehen muss :roll:
marteau
Mitglied
Mitglied

Beitrag von marteau »

Das mit dem Gastmusiker könnte ich mir auch gut vorstellen. Vielleicht läuft das dann so wie mit dem Bassisten von Bon Jovi, eben auf Angestelltenbasis. Nun, man darf gespannt sein. Ich zumindestens bin es sehr ;)
Axel
Administrator
Administrator
Beitrag von Axel »

Unter dem Titel Can I say something? (a note from Mike's sister) hat sich jetzt Mikes Schwester zum Ausstieg geäußert.

Before I write this, understand that this is MY statement. Mike might kill me for speaking up, but I just can't sit by quietly. I guess I'm like Mike in that way.

PLEASE stop reading between the lines with this whole situation. There is no hidden meaning in all of this (is there ever with Mike? The guy is an open book with his fans!!). Everything Mike said in his interview with Eddie Trunk, in his press release or otherwise is everything he has been saying to me for the past year, at least. He LOVES the other (DT) guys and their families. They have grown up together, married women that were (and are) best friends, have raised their kids as best friends. They are family. This was not an easy decision for him as a drummer, founding band member (and band leader) or person.

Let's put 25 years into perspective. I am 40. I met John and John when I was 15. How many friends do I still have that I have had to live AND work with for the past 25 years? Not a single one. I can't imagine looking at the same group of people for that many years and being able to come up with new, fun ideas (that will then be judged the world over). My friends and I get stuck on doing the same things on random weekend gatherings!

Remember, this is strictly my perspective here...

You'd think that being a rock star would be 100% fun 100% of the time. But I know that Mike works extremely hard and takes every bit of this experience to heart. You might think you know, but you have no idea (to borrow a line from Behind the Music). It is a part of who he is as a person, it is definitely not just a job. He's been running at a pace (WITH DREAM THEATER) most people couldn't keep up for a few months, much less 25 years. He just wants a break. He wants to have the chance to play with other musicians and be reminded of how special this all is. He wants to have fun and not be in charge of every detail for a bit. (And for those of you thinking he should just let others take the reins in DT, all I'll say is that you have no idea what you are talking about.)

The way I see it, it's not a matter of Mike not wanting to be in DT (Remember, he DOES want to be in DT... he NEVER wanted or planned to leave the band). Giving up Dream Theater must be like giving up a child for him. I know it's been horribly painful. But I am extremely proud of him for recognizing that he needs to be reinvigorated and for doing what he needs to do to make that happen. You know Mike. He does not do anything half-assed. He wants every drop of music that Dream Theater releases to be perfect and fulfilling for everyone. Right now, he is guaranteeing that he can't do that. Maybe (apparently) the other guys don't feel the same about this situation, I can't speak to that, but he knows that he needs a break to be able to bring the best of himself to the table. There is no alterier motive. He genuinely just needs a break. He needs a break that allows him to find new inspiration and have some down time. When he has done his other side projects, if you think he was not also working on DT stuff, you'd be incredibly mistaken.

I guess I got a bit long-winded there... sorry, but it's torture to sit back and watch my brother getting ripped apart or criticized for making this incredibly INCREDIBLY hard choice. And for those of you who are supporting/understanding of his decision, I want you to know HOW MUCH it is appreciated.

Thanks for listening...
~ Sam

Quelle: http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2588976.aspx
Bild
dirk hartmann
Mitglied
Mitglied

Beitrag von dirk hartmann »

Oh man, das geht aber ganz schön an die Nieren. Mike muss es wirklich unglaublich schlecht gehen aber er folgt seinen Gefühlen und geht keine Kompromisse ein und das zeigt, wie authentisch er ist. Für die DT-Fans im Hinblick auf die Kommunikation ein riesen Verlust. Ich weiss nicht, wer von der Band den Draht zu den Fans am besten halten kann, vielleicht Jordan Rudess, die anderen sagen kaum etwas und John Petrucci ist offensichtlich selbst zu betroffen. Hoffentlich gibt es wirklich eine Zukunft für DT ? Inzwischen bin ich mir da gar nicht mehr so sicher :roll:
MdJ
Mitglied
Mitglied

Beitrag von MdJ »

Ich kam gestern von einer 14stündigen Autofahrt - halbtot - zurück und musste dann den heftigsten Tiefschlag "schlucken", den ich seit den Verlust meines besten Freundes vor 20 Jahren ertragen musste :cry:

Dass Mike Portnoy DT verlässt, ist für mich - wie für so viel DT-Fans wirklich hart und irgendwie auch unwirklich. Ich finde auch jetzt keine Worte... (vermutlich wie M. Portnoy selbst). Und es zerreißt mich weiterhin!

Denn im Gegensatz zu anderen Bands verdichtete sich für mich in der Kombination Petrucci/Portnoy über Jahrzehnte ein nahezu unverbrüchlich-brüderliches Konstrukt, dessen kreativ-musikalischer Glanz von hochkarätigen "Kunst-Verstärkern" wie Myung und dann La Brie - später dann auch Rudess - jeden Musikliebhaber innerlich (und vielleicht auch äußerlich?) "aufleuchten" ließ.

Und dieses Konstrukt hat Portnoy selbst sehr gepflegt und genossen!

Ich habe aber für mich inzwischen gut einordnen können, dass nicht nur Milke, sondern eben auch "Dream Theater" immer anders bleiben!

Gott sei Dank (trotz aller Wehmut!)

Was habe ich damals geheult, als Kevin Moore die Band verließ :roll:

Ich hatte ja keine Ahnung, dass es einmal einen Wizzard geben würde, der Dream Theater noch einmal ganz "delikat" adeln sollte :lol:

Und die Argumente, Mike sei ja nicht Rudess, sondern "Gründer der Band", deren Seele und vorrangige Inspiration... - halte ich einerseits für irgendwie ganz richtig, aber eben auch andererseits nur für halbrichtig.

Wahrheit geht für mich perspektivisch durch die Zeit!

Eigentlich vollzieht und fördert M. Portnoy immer noch das Prinzip von Dream Theater (und damit sein eigenes Prinzip?!) - und dies eben in seiner letzten Konsequenz:

Alles bleibt im Fluss!

Ich danke Gott auf Knien, dass Dream Theater weiterarbeiten und nicht im Streit verrecken!

Allerdings bin ich von der Vorgehensweise von Mike enttäuscht!

Zumindest, von dem, was ich bisher mitbekommen habe! Es soll mir niemand erklären, dass ein durch und durch organisierter (monatelanger Voraus-)Planer und Profi wie Mike Portnoy seinen Austritt nicht hätte früher oder "sanfter" vorbereiten können!

Für all die "Friends and fans" - zum Beispiel: "das nächste Album wird für mich nun das letzte sein, weil ich inzwischen für mich einsehe, dass..."

Dass Portnoy in der Öffentlichkeit DT so abrupt verlässt, bleibt für mich ein Fragezeichen - trotz aller plausiblen und ehrlichen Beweggründe!

Irgendwie ist er das nicht nur DT gegenüber schuldig, sondern auch uns als FANS!

Sei`s drum! Ich freue mich auf das neue Album und auf den Einfluss, den der neue Drummer - sei es als Gast oder vieleicht auch als festes Bandmitglied - mitbringen wird

:)
Antworten